Talk Like a Pirate
September 19th is Talk Like a Pirate Day, and a day close to our hearts (or should that be, mi hearties?) It started onn June 6, 1995 when John Baur and Mark Summers were playing racquet ball and started to give each other encouragement in pirate language. Such fun they had they decided that they would celebrate talk like a pirate day every year, encouraging their friends to join in. This went on for a few years until 2002.
In 2002 John chanced upon Dave Barry’s e-mail address. Dave Barry is a syndicated columnist and the author and they reasoned that Dave would be able to bring attention to Talk Like A Pirate Day.They got a response! It’s a great idea, he said, and then he wrote an article and the rest became history.
We like to keep this tradition alive and therefore we will be talking like pirates, on the 19th September and we encourage you all to do it as well. Here are some basics:
Ahoy! – “Hello!”
Avast! – Stop and give attention.
Aye! – “ I agree most heartily with everything you said”
Aye aye! – “I’ll get right on that.”
Arrr! – “yes,” “I agree,” “I’m happy,” “I’m enjoying this beer,” “That was a clever remark you just made.” And those are just a few of the myriad possibilities of Arrr!
10 Pirate Jokes
- How do pirates know that they are pirates? They think, therefore they ARRRR!!!!
- Why did the pirate ask to get a mortgage with 3.142 percent interest? He wanted the pi-rate!
- What happened when Redbeard the Pirate fell into the Blue Sea?
He got Marooned!
- What is a pirate’s favourite type of music? Arr and B!
- How much did the pirate pay for his piercings?
- How much did the pirate pay for his peg and hook?
An arm and a leg.
- How do ye turn a pirate furious?
Take the ‘p’
- To err is human.
To arr is to pirate
- How do pirates communicate with each other?
With an Aye phone
- What did the pirate say on his 80th birthday? Aye Matey
Find out how to talk like a pirate with us and learn how to sail in the Caribbean here